Friday, February 8, 2013

Devoted


I received the most interesting compliment today.

Despite of, or probably in response to, my rather ardent (and apparently off-putting) feminist values, an acquaintance of mine commented, "Sydney, you're going to be the best and most traditional housewife and mother. I can already see it."

I shrugged and rolled my eyes. I don't particularly plan on having children, but that's not really a discussion or debate to involve other people in, so I just let the comment slide as a bit of good spirited teasing.

Later that day, when I mentioned how hilarious I thought the comment was, he clarified;

"I don't actually think that you will or will not have kids or anything. I just get the impression from you that you're a very devoted person. That once you love someone, a friend or a guy, that you would be wholly devoted to them."

I thought that was a staggering thought. Devoted.



I cannot remember the last time I received such a phenomenal compliment. It nearly left me in tears. I could not be happier to think that anyone could walk away from fleeting encounters with such an impression.

 "Loyalty and devotion lead to bravery. Bravery leads to the spirit of self-sacrifice. The spirit of self-sacrifice creates trust in the power of love." - Morihei Ueshiba

No comments:

Post a Comment