Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Surviving Calgary Summer, Aid 1

For those who have not had the distinct pleasure of spending time in Calgary Alberta, I will let you in on a mixed blessing of this city; it is dry. This means that the hot weather that sent me scurrying for a/c in Montreal is simply blissful in Calgary. It does, however, mean that you dry out. Hands, hair skin; there is a lot to be said about the benefits of humidty.

With my schedule in flux, and trying, still, to get myself into a sustainable routine, moisturizing was not top priority. However, as I started to undertake a health revolution for my body - eating better and exercising more - I stumbled across a solution to that problem as well.


Walking in the doors of Planet Organic, I saw a display for this half-off organic coconut oil. I think the discount was because the label happens to be in French, which as far as skin care goes, actually makes it more covetable (if L'Oreal, L'Occitane, or La Mer are any indication). As I contemplated the jar, I remembered that at my highschool sweetheart's home, there had always been a jar of coconut oil in their shower. His brother had often suffered from dry and ashy skin, despite living on the West Coast, and nothing rehydrated his skin better than coconut oil. I had always skimmed from his supply when I had the chance, but after high school I had made one solid attempt at bringing coconut oil into my skin care regime: the Body Shop will sell you a rather miniscule bottle of oil for an arm and a leg, and as an all-over body moiturizer it just didn't go far enough for my student budget. Real coconut oil, however, is more solid, and can be applied so easily; it's a creamy solid when you are scooping it out of the jar - this helps to make sure it doesn't simply run through your fingers like astraight oil tends to - and melts once you start applying it to your skin.  And if you find the right brand, you will smell subtley and deliciously like coconut. Real coconut. Not an overwhelming coconut-perfume - just a hint of sweetness that will disappear into what ever fragrence you wear.

Oh yeah. And it works. My skin, particularly on my hands, is softening right up. The downside is that you need to give it some time to soak in - I always slick myself down straight out of the shower (but tie your hair up!), throw on a robe and pop to the kitchen to make a pot of coffee and some breakfast before getting dressed. If you're strapped for time, stick to Aveeno and avoid ruining an outfit with oil stains.

I love that it was nice enough out for a natural backdrop for my photoshoot. She Ra loved it too:

No comments:

Post a Comment