Monday, September 24, 2012

They're Here

I had some very well laid plans for blog posts this weekend. I have a couple mid-way drafted, in fact.

However, after putting in some requisite hours at the library yesterday and returning home to make myself dinner, I found my laptop to be rather tragically unresponsive. No vital signs, save the blue glow of my power button. No screen, no characteristic whir of responding mechanisms, no sounds, not even the will to shut off said power button light. Oh crumbs, as my mum would say. I removed the battery, twice, in fact, let the battery recharge. Nothing. I called the IT guy who had equipped me with this laptop no more than four weeks earlier, and started hashing out some post-mortem options. Not pleasant.

It did mean that I got much more reading done than I would have done otherwise though, I'm sure.

At nearly midnight, while I drowsily slogged through Torts, my apartment was cast in a rather eerie light.

kinda like that, yeah.
My laptop, which I hadn't touched for hours, roused itself from the cold clutches of apparent death. As those few remaining soldiers who endeavour on with PC are probably familiar, the start up screen which follows a crash reads something along the lines of; Do you wish to start up in Normal Mode, Safety Mode, etc, etc? A little baffled, I started to get out of bed to prompt the computer's start up, because apparently I learned nothing from my past obsession with horror movies, when it proceeded to start up in normal mode all on its own. I don't know if this is maybe just a default that results from leaving the start up screen unsupervised too long, but my logical conclusion was "Poltergeists! My computer is haunted by poltergeists!" You can ask my dad - I left him a voicemail to that effect.

So, if some truly uncharacteristic posts start appearing on this blog - regarding, say, the ease with which I read about Tort law, or my disapprobation of the vulgarity of hip hop music - it's probably my new lap top gremlin friends. Don't worry. They mean well, I'm sure.

I

hope

...
.................................................................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment