Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis

I just stumbled across this truly beautiful and relevant piece of contemporary hip hop on facebook this morning. I don't know much about the artist, Macklemore, but I intend on changing that. Not only does this song show uncharacteristic sensitivity to a politically and emotionally charged issue - that of gay marriage and equality rights - but it brings hip hop back to its politically charged roots. Macklemore points to the hip hop of the 90s, of the Fugees and Nas, when artists used hip hop as an accessible medium to convey political messages, as a medium to fight for racial equality. Hip hop has not been that, as of late. Hip hop has been Boom Boom Pow and Rack City, Bitch. I applaud this truly beautiful effort to bring hip hop back. The video and message are beautiful. It brought tears to my eyes (and cheeks)


No comments:

Post a Comment