Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Dreaming of Rain

I am overjoyed to be the new owner of  a classic, raglan sleeve, long Burberry trench. Overjoyed. I asked for a rain coat for Christmas. 

As I wandered around Holt Renfrew with my mum on the day before Christmas, and as we toured through the Burberry section I remarked "I know I will have made it in life when I own a Burberry trench." Well, I don't think I've made it, so I will have to come up with a new measure of success, but for now I get to figure out how I can make this timeless piece part of my wardrobe.

Rock'n'Roll Trench
First thought; pair the trench with my new faux-Marant wedge sneakers and faux-leather leggings. Something rugged and modern. There is a definite rock-n-roll undercurrent to my style. I definitely take note on what Rihanna is wearing and take inspiration, channeling her leather ensembles, albeit in a slightly tamer, every day, Canadian way.

Or, on the other hand...
 Classic Trench 

Maybe something more traditional. I realize that, as I move towards a professional career, my favourite spiked ring may prove more of a detriment than an indicator of my spot-on style. So a more classic, feminine look to pair with the trench, with clean lines and simple colours.

Sometimes it makes me sad that I don't have a distinct personal style. I'm much more of a chameleon, taking on and appreciating a variety of looks. I'm never going to inspire anyone with my style though. But if it means I could wear this trench like a 1930s starlet or like Rihanna I will take versatility over a distinct aesthetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment